Monday, January 17, 2011

I ♥ BNE.


It was a week ago today that I was sitting in front of the TV giving my son a bottle. The words 'Breaking News' flashed up on the screen (interrupting whatever program we were watching) and immediately images were shown of what was  happening in Toowoomba. The news that a massive wall of water had swept through the town was explained while live footage of many people stranded in the water, in cars and on rooftops was shown. I don't remember the words I must of screamed in horror, but my husband came running in to see what was wrong and saw what was on the TV. He asked me "where is this happening???"...I muttered the word "Toowoomba" and we were both silent as we continued to watch the devastation continue on the television.

It wasn't long before we realised how much trouble this state was really in for. Even then though, I don't think anybody could of fathomed or comprehended the colossal heartbreak Queensland was yet to experience.

The morning before Brisbane was "hit", my mother and I were emailing each other. She was emailing from her workplace right in the heart of Brisbane. It wasn't until I heard more breaking news that the Brisbane river had broken it's banks that panic well and truly started to set in. I tried to type an email to my mother but typing was now impossible, my heart was going a million miles and I was shaking too badly to type anything legible. I called her to let her know, no answer. I also called my father who works in the city as well, no answer. Luckily it wasn't long before my mother called to let me know that both her and my dad were OK and that they were now on their way out of the city. I breathed a sigh of relief and for some reason then thought to myself "The city will be OK, as will most of the suburbs surrounding it...the worst has got to be over". How wrong was I.

The days after were probably some of the darkest that I (and millions of other Queenslanders) have experienced. I honestly don't think I've cried, wept, wailed, mourned more than I did last week...and to be honest still do now. The pain's not as raw as last week but it's still there and will be for some time. I don't know of one person in my life who hasn't needed "a moment" to break down over what has happened to QLD.

To watch my friends lose everything (including loved ones), to know their kids have lost their favourite teddy or blanket. To watch two suburbs I lived in (and loved) go under water. To watch our city and cities, suburbs we've lived and grown up in, historical landmarks we love, favourite restaurants, favourite shops, animal shelters and schools perish has been absolutely heart breaking. I think many of us had to remind ourselves that all of this was really happening at least a few times. To watch the death toll continually rise has been and will continue to be gut wrenching. To watch the number of people missing fluctuate from high to low...from low to high again has also been, and will continue to be horrible. The grim and grimmer news updates were and are simply too much for a lot of people to take.

After the river peaked, and after the water receded in many places...the sheer misery came to a halt. Don't get me wrong, it was still there, but it was paused as over 20,000 people here licked their wounds and got right back up. Shovels, brooms, mops, cleaning products and garbage bags in hand. The number of people who have helped in other ways is unknown and probably always will be, but rest assured it's well over 20,000.

Personally, my tears stopped on Friday afternoon. I put my son on the floor with his favourite toys and got to work...I needed an action plan and I needed it now. I'd made a video (slide show) of images from the flood crisis up here with donation details at the end of the video but I needed to promote it...I needed as many people to see it as possible due to the fact that the more people who saw it, the more people who would donate. I circulated it around the net (and will continue to do so for some time). It went from 200 views to over 2,500 views in a short period of time and I know in my heart, someone who saw it would of donated. I also filled 13 garbage bags with clothing, shoes, purses, handbags, belts, underwear that I no longer needed. I'm a little short on clothing now to tell the truth but I can't say I care much. Those items have been distributed to the people who need them.

On Saturday, my daughter and I filled 55+ bags with cookies, lollies and other treats. We decorated each bag by writing 'Thank You' on them and putting stickers on them. I had planned on volunteering with the massive clean up on Sunday and wanted to hand the bags out to fellow volunteers, but unfortunately no more volunteers were allowed in the affected suburbs. So I instead took the bags to my mother who will be selling them for $1 each at her workplace's fund-raiser Flood Relief Morning Tea later this week. Knowing that I've done absolutely everything in my very being to help - and knowing that MILLIONS of people all over this country have made similar efforts does actually make the pain of what's happened more bearable. One of my mantra's has always been "If you're not part of the answer, you're part of the problem" - and that mantra could not ring more true when it comes to what's happened here in QLD. Obviously, when my husband and I are needed, we'll be there with bells on to help with the clean up (which will take months and months) or in any other way we can.

I can honestly say I have never been more proud to be a Queenslander. The spirit, kindness, generosity, empathy, faith and heart this state has shown to it's own people has been nothing short of wonderful. Like I said in one of my Facebook status update's; 'I may have been born in Melbourne...but my heart belongs to Queensland, and I couldn't be more proud'.

Until next time,
Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment