Monday, April 23, 2012

Update (re: last post).

Well, it's been 3 weeks since I started on the mother of all Anti-Biotics for my hormonal acne. Around the same time, I started taking Fish Oil Capsules and I've just started on Zinc. I have been eating clean for a month now and drink 3L water minimum per day.

Has there been an improvement? Yes - but not what I was hoping for. My skin itself is softer than it's ever been and the inflammation surrounding the acne is nothing like it was, my skin tone is also much more even. So I am pretty happy with that as my face doesn't hurt as much as it did plus it's MUCH easier to apply make up now. However as for new acne? I'm still getting it. I've been told I'm still in the 'purging' phase of treatment and to expect this...I don't know if I believe that though.

I've been told not to expect results from Bactrim for 2 months - which I'm OK with and I'm willing to finish the course of  Bactrim to make it that far. Am I still hopeful this is my 'cure'?? No. Frankly, I've read about this stuff and researched it quite extensively before I started taking it and in 9 out of 10 cases, the person had said Bactrim cleared them up a lot sooner than 3 weeks, a lot of the reviews I read claimed they were clear in a matter of days. Hey, maybe I'm wrong and I will see results in the next 5 weeks - one can only hope! However to be honest, I don't think this is working and I do not think it will work. I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic given what I've seen and read during hours of research about this stuff.

I am still trying home remedies for this as well. When it comes to rubbing garlic on your face, my advice is don't. I think people who praise it as their acne cure don't...actually....have...acne. Sure, a nasty pimple here and there - Garlic will probably sort it out and shrink it overnight! Flared up, inflamed, nodular acne though?? Like I said, don't do it...not unless you enjoy burning your skin. Same thing with Lemon juice - just don't do it.

The old Coconut oil & Tumeric paste remedy...I can't really say whether or not this is helpful yet. I only tried it for the first time last night (and I'm typing this with yellow stained hands LOL). The acne is feeling quite dry, however that's how it usually feels after I wash with the Cetaphil & Benzac. So no verdict for this remedy as yet. The next home remedy I'll be trying is Apple Cider Vinegar (I have tried this before but will give it another go) and then the next crazy remedy will be American cold and flu tablets....which have oddly cured so many women's skin problems. I'm not going to question it!!

One thing I am going to try immediately, along with my current treatment, is Saw Palmetto. This is the herbal version/equivalent of Spironalactone. It's known as a men's health supplement (Prostate health) however many women have had success with it as a hormonal acne treatment. It doesn't carry the same dangerous side effects as Spironalactone either so I am not thinking twice about it. I'll be buying it tonight and starting it tonight. There's a small risk with Potassium levels however they're not serious risks as they are with the 'real' stuff.

So in my last post I said I'd tried everything - not true, and I apologise for saying that because it's dismissive of new ideas and hopes to cure such a nasty condition and it's the last thing anyone else going through this would want to read. I'm not giving up. I feel beautiful, I look beautiful - even with these pimples - however this acne is a sign something in my body is not good, not right, not well. The hormones and the bacteria causing this are still so bloody off balance and the ONLY way of fixing that problem is to attack the hormones and bacteria together, which may sound easy but as my derm will tell you, it ain't. Fingers crossed the herbal version of Spironalactone will be the answer - if not, then my bet is in 5 weeks I'll be put on the real version of it. Which to be honest, I'd probably skip and go straight on to Ro-Accutane.

That's where I'm at with this now. If my skin is still like this on my 29th birthday, I will be starting on Ro-Accutane. My feeling is this is going to happen as my acne is obviously very resistant but in good conscience (for my sake and others) I will try EVERYTHING before I 'turn to the dark side' of Accutane. I am prepared for the backlash from others over this and completely understand your warnings, but respectfully, I've made up my mind. Let's just hope it doesn't come to this.





No comments:

Post a Comment